Additional information about the certification process for new, prospective USAV referees, including clinic dates, sites and times, are available at www.ovr.org/officiating/clinics.php. The program includes the following phases:
- Attendance is mandatory at one of the three OVR New Officials' Clinics. Attendance at any other officiating clinic is not permitted. Prospective officials' clinics will be held in Westerville (Sunday, December 4, 2016), Dayton (Saturday, December 10, 2016), and Cuyahoga Falls (Sunday, January 8, 2017). Sign up online at https://www.ovr.org/officiating/new_official_signup.php. Pre-registration for one of these clinics must be completed online at this website prior to attendance at the clinic. There is a $25 non-refundable registration fee for the clinic. Checks are payable to the Ohio Valley Region and must be paid upon arrival at the clinic.
- In addition to pre-registering online for a clinic, prospective officials must download the Prospective Official's Data Sheet, print it, and fill it out completely. The data sheet must be submitted with the clinic registration fee.
- In preparation for your attendance at the New Officials' Clinic, please review any/all online training modules available at the USA Volleyball referee training website: https://www.VolleyballRefTraining.com. Click on "Training Modules" below the blue menu banner. On the subsequent page, use the left-hand menu column to navigate. You should review modules for referees AND scoring. You may also want to review the "Junior Training Materials" as a primer. When accessing the modules, select "Play Material". Do NOT select "Yes - Get Credit."
- At the conclusion of each clinic, if you wish to continue with the certification process, you must submit an additional $75 training/evaluation fee. You will also need to indicate your preference for attendance at a one of the following 2017 training/evaluation tournaments: January 14 or 15 at OhioNets Sports Complex in Parma, OH (Cleveland area) or January 21 or 22 at Game Time Sports Center in Urbana, OH (between Dayton and Columbus). There are a limited number of openings at each tournament, so you should plan to be available for at least two dates.
- After being notified of the training/evaluation tournament to which you have been assigned, refunds will not be granted if you do not consequently fulfill the training/evaluation tournament assignment. If you immediately indicate you are unavailable for the tournament, you will be refunded the $75 fee.
- Once accepted, you must complete the online USAV Form C rules exam, which is 50 true/false questions. In addition, there are various online training modules and videos that will be required. Exam and online training module details will be distributed at the clinic.
- The Ohio Valley Region will accept prospective officials as candidate referees based upon those who have attended one of the mandatory, new officials' clinics; completed the Prospective Official's Data Sheet; and submitted the $75 fee as indicated above. The $75 application/training/evaluation fee will be returned to any applicant not accepted for any reason. (Note: The $25 clinic fee is non-refundable.)
- You will receive at least two referee training matches and one scorer training match at your assigned tournament. You will subsequently be evaluated on at least two matches (R1/R2), and also a match as scorer (all three are pass/fail), to determine your competency to receive a USAV Junior Regional or Provisional referee rating.
- Upon successful completion of the evaluation process, you will then need to register as an OVR-USAV member ($62) and submit to the USAV background screening process ($20). These fees must be paid at the conclusion of the training/evaluation tournament. The background screening process requires at least 5 business days to complete. For more information on the background screening process, see the Background Screening Overview.
NOTE: Candidates who do not pass the evaluation process are NOT eligible for a refund of the $75 training/evaluation fee.
- Upon verification of the background check, you will become a fully certified USAV referees, and only at that time will you be permitted to accept USAV tournament officiating assignments in the OVR. Candidates who do not satisfy the background screening process will be refunded only the $62 USAV-OVR registration fee. The $25 clinic fee, $75 training/evaluation fee and $20 background screening fee are not refundable after the background screen has been completed.