Of related interest
Accreditation, Certification, and Licensure
Each club director must be ASEP accredited. See our ASEP section for specific requirements, course dates, and to register for an ASEP course.
Each coach must be IMPACT certifified. IMPACT is an entry-level coaching requirement of both USAV and the 40 regional volleyball associations. Individuals who wish to coach a boys or girls club team must be IMPACT, IMPACT Plus or CAP (level 1,2 or 3) certified within 60 days of membership registration. After 60 days, no coach may have any contact with players in practice or matches until the minimum certification is received. The regions are responsible to keep accurate records of those qualified to coach. If an individual is found negligent of certification, that individual must be immediately replaced with a qualified person. Violations of this requirement may include probation, suspension, fine, or whatever disciplinary action is deemed appropriate by the authorized person, persons, boards, or committees of the OVR. Appeals may be made in accordance with procedures set forth in the bylaws and operating code of the OVR. There are no waivers for lack of certification.
The OVR has been asked to contribute to a national movement to promote a high standard for operation and management of juniors' clubs. OVR clubs may apply for licensure, documenting their practices that are considered conducive to running a high-quality program. Those clubs that do for and are granted a license may advertise that fact and will be recognized as licensed on the OVR website. Additional information and the applicatation for club license are aavailable on the Licensure of Juniors' Clubs page.
Commitments and Contracts
Verbal commitments by players or parents to clubs are not binding. Commitments must be in writing: e-mail, written note, payment by check or cash (receipt required), or signed contract are binding to both parties for that season. A player contract is one requirement for club licensure.
Formation of Juniors' Clubs and Teams
- Juniors' Registration Packet: All the information you need to start a juniors' club
- Juniors' Divisions
- Protecting Juniors' Scholastic Eligibility
- Policies for Recruiting Junior Athletes
- Tryouts: Sanctioned Tryouts, Application for Sanction, Tryout Policies
- Players' Connection: Teams Needing Players and Players Needing Teams
- See also: Development and Training: Club Directors and Coaches, below
Sanctioning and Conducting Juniors' Tournaments
Juniors' Competition in the Ohio Valley Region
- OVR Boys' Regional Volleyball Championships
- Ohio Valley Region, Inc.-Kaepa®USA Girls' Volleyball Championships
USAV Girls Junior National Championships
Development and Training
- High Performance Junior and Youth Teams
- Players' Camps And Clinics
- Tryouts, some of which offer clinics
- High Performance: elite training and camps
The American Sport Education Program's volleyball course is a very useful tool for all club directors as well as for coaches and parents. It covers issues such as club philosophy, coaches, parents, risk, finances, and events. There will be round table discussion and the sharing of ideas between established and new clubs. We will discuss region-specific issues such as OVR Championship format, tryout issues, recruiting, and more. All club directors must be ASEP-accredited.
The Ohio Valley Region requires that all coaches must be either IMPACT- or CAP-certified before they are permitted to coach players in tournaments.
- OVR Coaching Education
- IMPACT Clinics
IMPACT, Increased Mastery and Professional Application of Coaching Theory, is a 4-hour course for the new club coach. Emphasis is on drill development, principals of learning skills, resources, and ethics.
- USA Volleyball CAP
The Coaching Accreditation Program is a comprehensive, multi-level coaching education program that covers all aspects of coaching and teaching volleyball. Both Level 1 and 2 courses focus on the critical athlete performance principles in coaching.
- Volleyball Job Opportunities
- Club Directors' Meeting: [ 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2001 ]
- Junior Advisory Board Meeting Minutes, Jan. 16, 1999, Kent (minutes not available)
- Junior Advisory Board Meeting Minutes, Dec. 5, 1998, Westerville