(board members listed in bold)
|Present:||Ron Wyzynski, Bob Price, Terry Miller, Emi Vishoot, Loren Paulozzi (departed @ 3:30 pm), Don Burroughs, Hank Trimble, Keith Burke, Al Herbert, Michelle Hills (departed @ 2:00 pm), Patty Salvatore, Michelle Fox, Ken Leckler (departed @ 3:00 pm), Stephen Donahue (arrived @ 1:08 pm), Adam Evans|
|Not present:||Art Faura, Bill Zehler, Brian Hemelgarn, Nick Nystrom, Tom Kohl, Gary Hesse|
|Guests:||Gretchen Niebling (Lineshot VBC)|
[ Commisioner's Report | CEO's Report | Juniors' Volleyball | Adults' Volleyball | Officiating & Rules | Administration & Governance ]
Commissioner's Report – Bob Price, OVR Commissioner/President
- The USAV membership period is now September 1 to August 31, to align better with current operations.
- Bob handed out ROD Insurance Committee Meeting Minutes (October 10, 2008) and discussed highlights.
- Background screening thru SSCI
- The ROD discussed people being "unfairly penalized" for youthful indiscretions.
- USAV will require background screens for all officials beginning with 2010 season. At present, this is up to each Region. The OVR already requires background screening for professional officials working OVR-sanctioned tournaments. Should the OVR require background screening for all events that take place in the OVR, which would include the Early Bird and JVDA events?
- Motion 1 (Herbert/Leckler): "All officials working OVR-sanctioned events need to be background screened." Motion carries (9-1-0).
- Signed Waiver of Liability: The ROD committee discussed the situation where a minor reaches majority during the year and whether the waiver of liability signed by parent/guardian still applies after minor becomes 18. USAV's insurance carrier is following up.
- Tryout Waiver
- There is a need to ensure every player is a member for insurance coverage.
- Using a region membership form for tryouts would provide coverage but would lock that individual to that club for the season. Consider a 30-day membership to cover this period; USAV will provide further information about this option.
- USAV WebPoint requires each individual to enter their membership info into database, which provides start date for coverage.
- ROD Competition Committee
- Bob distributed the ROD Competition Committee Meeting Minutes (October 10, 2008) and discussed highlights.
- There is concern about linking housing with tournament entry process for some events. USAV indicates that all qualifiers will be required to follow the same centralized housing policy.
- USAV WebPoint system: Bob distributed a handout of ROD Motion 23.
- ROD Motion 23: "Structures and Function – Motion 3 Motion from Executive Committee to the USAV Board of Directors. In order to provide an appropriate level of risk management and to allow USAV to continue to secure affordable insurance coverage, it is imperative that all RVA members be part of the USAV national database. The Executive Committee will require a collaborative effort between those RVAs not utilizing the USA WebPoint registration system and staff. A system will be developed to transfer all required data to promote the national database development on a schedule that staff determines effective. Amendment Bob Price/Will Vick. Motion passed as amended."
- USAV proposed a replacement motion that specified all regions ultimately be on the WebPoint system; this motion did not pass.
- Bob distributed a handout of e-mail from Susan Barkley (Manager, National Database Development) regarding AES (Advanced Events System) and import of registration data from WebPoint. This handout indentified the specific data items that would be imported from the USAV database to AES, focusing on junior players and associated adult staff.
CEO's Report – Ron Wyzynski, OVR CEO/Executive Director
- Ron is sending boxes of the 2009 Domestic Competition Regulations to various board members as distributers, which helps to reduce postage expense.
- Molten products: We charge members $14 shipping per box (our cost) of Molten volleyballs. Some boxes will be set aside for HP. Shirts and other items will be used for officials and coaches as appropriate.
- The OVR currently owns 40 courts, which continue to be a solid investment.
- The plan for Adult Regionals and Bids is to use 52 courts, which will include 12 from an external supplier.
- Terry noted that equipment rented out but not returned on time will be invoiced for payment.
Junior' Tournaments – Tom Kohl, OVR Juniors' Tournament Director (report)
- As of October 16, 33 tournament directors have requested to host 426 junior tournaments and friendship scrimmages at 53 locations.
- Mixed tournaments (boys' playing on girls' teams; limited to 15U and younger): Tom reports minimal interest and no requests for tournament sanction.
- More 14 American tournaments are needed. Interested parties are experiencing some difficulty since clubs want to know how many tournaments are available before forming 14A teams and tournament directors want to know how many 14A teams are available before requesting to offer events for this division.
- 13 National teams will be permitted to compete in 14 American or higher age group tournaments.
Junior Officials' Development Program – Gary Hesse, Junior Officials' Development Director
- Recognition program for junior officials is ready for 2009. Junior officials who are identified by referees as outstanding will receive an OVR Junior Official t-shirt. Junior officials who were identified last season will receive a t-shirt this year, provided that the player is registered again this year.
- Clinics for junior officials: Clubs will be required to use an approved clinician. Gary outlined specific actions that clinicians must complete for each clinic, and he is working on a PowerPoint presentation on R2 to augment the scorekeeper presentation that is currently online.
- Gary will provide information on new procedures and mechanics at the OVR professional officials' clinics to help ensure junior officials receive correct training instruction.
High Performance Program – Don Burroughs, OVR Director of Coaching Education and High Performance
- Don noted that club directors have expressed interest in shortening the season to allow players to have "down time" during the summer, and that the original premise behind HP is to provide a feeder program for top-caliber players to make it to the national team system. The OVR has seen great success in providing players to the national team pipeline.
- Bob observed that many regions have expressed reluctance to continue sending teams to the USAV HP championships and recommended suspending HP for one year.
- Don suggested scaling back the program rather than suspending activity.
- Option 1: Provide an HP camp focused on developing individual skills (similar to OHSAA Ohio Elite Camp). This would not be an "open" camp, but instead geared toward players with certain skill levels. A camp is most effective if participants have comparable skills and abilities.
- Option 2: Enhance and expand coaching education opportunities to fund future HP activities. Consider more comprehensive coaches' clinic (2-3 days). The benefit of presenting a module-style clinic (within USAV CAP structure) is that this would satisfy recertification requirements.
- The best time would be June (access to college sites is easier).
- Hold separate high-level camps for girls (3 age groups) and boys (2 age groups).
- Expand coaching education programs and clinics for coaches.
- Motion (Hills/Trimble): "that the OVR produces and sponsors a high level elite training camp opportunity for juniors and additional coaching education opportunity". Motion carried (unanimous).
- At least one coach is sponsoring "open gyms" that appear to be "pre-tryout activities". Bob will address this infraction and notify the Board of his decision.
OVR-Sanctioned Events – Al Herbert
- February 7-8; GCCC, Halls E/F; 20-22 courts
- Divisions: Boys' 18/17 (6 courts); Boys' 16/15 (6 courts); Girls' 18 National (5 courts); Girls' 17 National (5 courts)
- Adult Regional Championships and Bid Tournament
- April 18-19; GCCC, Halls C/D/E/F; 52 courts
- Divisions: Adults (12 courts); Girls' 18N/17N/16N/15N/14N/13N (6 courts each); Girls' 12 (4 courts)
- National Challenge Tournaments (Girls)
- Two tournaments each for 18N thru 13N and 12s
- Sites include: OhioNets (6 divisions); Premier (3 divisions); GCCC (2 divisions); Hiram College (2 divisions); McGee's (1 division)
- Regional Challenge Tournaments (Girls)
- One tournament for most divisions; two each for 16R and 15R due to number of teams
- Sites: all are at OhioNets except 14R, which will be offered in conjunction with the OVR Boys' Championships (Columbus Fairgrounds, February 28-March 1)
- American Challenge Tournament (Girls')
- One 14 American tournament at OhioNets
- April 3-5; Huntington WV Civic Center; 12 courts
- Sponsored by Charleston Volleyball Club
- Divisions: 18R, 16R, 15R, 14A
- Al is the Tournament Director; Terry is the Officials' Assigner and Head Referee
Coed Adults' Volleyball Update – Adam Evans, Adults' Coed Program Director
- Adam distributed a handout, "Ohio Valley Region Co-Ed Adult Volleyball – 2008 Season (BOD Report: October 19, 2008)".
- Players have expressed interest in the concept of a fall coed tournament season; unfortunately, this interest hasn't translated into commitment to enter the tournaments. The most interest has been shown in NE Ohio, plus central and NW Ohio, to some extent. Adam will continue to focus efforts to make the fall coed tournaments a reality.
- Adam outlined specific actions to help promote the fall coed tournaments for 2009. These included publicizing the coed season while the adult teams are active (February thru April), considering a "carry-over" membership option to help the adult players who wish to participate in the fall coed events (this item may be moot with the change in season start/end dates), and running different formats that will encourage participation.
- USAV verbiage in DCR was revised to address concerns raised by the YJOVD
- USAV 19.2a now states: "The Libero player's jersey must contrast in color with that of the predominant colors of the jerseys of the other team members. Color combinations such as purple/black, dark green/black, navy/maroon and white/light yellow are not distinctive enough to comply with the rules."
Administration & Governance
OVR Awards Committee (Michelle H (chair), Don, Stephen)
- Handout: Selection of 2008 Award Recipients
- Michelle summarized committee activities to date
- At the December Club Directors meeting and ASEP course, will present the following awards o OVR Award of Excellence ? Kathy Kleinhuizen, NKYVC (2006 OVR Award of Excellence, Club Director); never received plaque for her award ? Jennifer Lauber, Club Crush (Club Director) ? Jerry Malicki (Tournament Director) ? Bob McFarland, Renaissance Cleveland (Coach) o OVR Commissioners Award ? Margie Belman, Northcoast Volleyball Club Director
- Glenn Purdy Meritorious Service Award for Referees and Scorekeepers o Did not receive any nominations to date o Will work with Brian to identify worthy nominees; plan to present award during the Junior Championships o Will request additional nominations for an award presentation in December 2009
- Hope is that award presentations will generate interest in nominations for future awards
- Board consensus is to support the direction that the committee is taking to get back on track with awards
OVR event housing
- Hotels want to know projected room requirements (staff and officials) for OVR events
- Currently have room contracts for Hyatt in April (staff only) and May (staff and officials); Marriott contract is pending
- Satisfying our hotel room block obligations is a key factor to maintaining our A customer rating with GCCC
OVR Organizational Review Committee (ORC) (Adam, Gretchen)
- It is unclear how the new USAV Board will affect regions and our daily activities; consider tabling OVR restructure discussion and proposals until we see ramifications of USAV structure.
- Al noted that the OVR still exists and that our mandate to our members will continue; recommend we move forward with what we feel is the best action and make adjustments as needed based on any new USAV directives.
- Re-activate Junior Advisory Board to address junior concerns; ORC will oversee formation of this advisory board.
- Consider Adult Player Advisory Board to address adult player concerns? Not sure if a formal board is necessary; most concerns are voiced when players see Board members at tournaments; consider establishing a forum that offers a means for players to identify issues.
- Online Voting for the OVR Board of Directors
- No state approves or disapproves electronic voting or electronic signature
- If implemented, need to incorporate safeguards to prevent voter fraud; club directors currently receive all usernames and passwords for their coaches and could log in and vote multiple times
- Motion 2 (Michelle H/Al): recommend we allow on-line voting; motion fails (2-7-1)
- Bob designated Michelle Hills as Election Coordinator for 2009. Michelle replaces Emi Vishoot, who is a candidate this year.
Revision to OVR Bylaws (Article 5.08)
- Motion 5 (Bob/Bill; from August 2008 meeting) to delete the sentence, "However, the Directors may be reimbursed for expenses to do business." from Article 5.08. Discussion: "normal" expenses (gas/mileage; rental car; tolls) associated with attending Board meetings versus other business-related expenses (representing OVR at national meetings or events); unclear if this deletion would eliminate reimbursement for the latter. Motion fails (1-9).
Volleyball Hall of Fame
- USAV requested assistance from regions to provide monetary support to the Volleyball Hall of Fame.
- Motion 4 (Al/Hank): OVR pay $500 to support the Volleyball Hall of Fame; motion carries (8-1-1).
Verification Update – Stephen Donahue, OVR Verification Officer
- Stephen distributed a handout: "2007-2008 Year-End Report for the OVR Verification Officer"
- The missing background screen form from 2007-2008 was for a junior player who turned 18 and coached a club team. The missing form was discovered in August and not pursued at that time.
- Stephen has been experiencing some problems with SSCI's online background screen process.
- If someone fails background screen, region will receive notification via certified mail.
Other Administrative Issues
- USAV will not sanction any event that has "JVDA" in its title or name
- USAV will provide more information regarding pins from the Beijing Olympic Games
Future Board Meetings
- The next meeting will be January 3, 2009, in Cuyahoga Falls, at either 3:00 pm or 4:00 pm.