(board members listed in boldface)
Ron Wyzynski, Bob Price, Keith Burke, Don Burroughs, Stephen Donahue, Adam Evans, Art Faura, Michelle Fox, Al Herbert, Gary Hesse, Michelle Hills, Tom Kohl, Ken Leckler, Terry Miller, Nick Nystrom, Loren Paulozzi, Patty Salvatore, Hank Trimble, Emi Vishoot, Bill Zehler
Juniors' Event Schedule
- As before, 10-and-under boys can play on 10-and-under girls' teams. There does not appear to be sufficient demand to warrant a boys' 12-and-under division at this time.
- Prior to the meeting, Al circulated a list of OVR-hosted juniors' tournaments. Excepting the Friendship Tournaments in January, Al is running exclusively 2-day events at OhioNets because the facility is ideally suited to them.
- Court setup and teardown dates are:
January 25: 24-court, 1-day setup for Winter Fest at GCCC
February 22: setup for Boys' Championships (2/23-24) at Veterans' Memorial
April 10-11: 52 courts (GCCC)
May 2: 20 courts for the first weekend of the Girls' Championships (GCCC)
May 8(?)-9: 40 more courts for the second-third weekends (GCCC)
May 19: tear-down
- USAV is considering delivering IMPACT as a web course, to be tested on October 26.
- Several members have asked to become IMPACT instructors. Don Burroughs will develop a process for identifying IMPACT instructor candidates.
- Michelle Hills circulated YVDA's Volleyball at the Crossroads presentation.
- Michelle discussed proceedings of the YJOV meetings at USAV.
- Prior to the meeting, Michelle circulated the Adults' Tournament Director Report.
- As previously determined, adults can play on both days of Regionals only to complete an otherwise less-than-6 roster for Sunday, and only after filing a formal request with the tournament director.
- The adults' seeding system for 2007-2008 is final and documented on the OVR website.
- Adam Evans raised the tournament structure he described at the August meeting, reporting that at least 12-14 teams are considering leaving the region. Bob said that the existing system was continued because tournament directors needed documentation by September, and that Michelle needs a second year to follow through on her plans.
- A committee of Michelle, Bob, and Hank will determine teams' level of play based on scores, point differentials, and tournament performance. Addition of a female player will be considered.
- Brian could not be present, but he previously circulated a Referees' Chair Report and a draft of the Officials' Handbook. OVR board members and staff will review the draft for approval prior to the first officials' clinic.
- Bob Price reviewed the OVR Referees' Chair's report on Brian's behalf.
- Jimmy McKinzey and Emi Vishoot will serve as co-chairs on the OVR Awards Committee.
- Glenn Purdy will continue to be involved in the Glenn Purdy Meritorious Service Award.
- Awards will be presented at the OVR December meetings.
- Nominees for national awards should be sent to Art no later than March.
Facilities and Courts
- The OVR is examining costs for various facilities, and will avoid use of overly expensive facilities for OVR-hosted events.
- Rental of OVR courts is generating valuable income for the Region. Together with not paying for their use for our own events, purchase of courts was a sound investment.
- Previously, the OVR determined that courts needing a step-in line be used only for 13s and younger.
Motion (Al Herbert/Michelle Hills): “Rescind motion #4 from August 12, 2007.” Motion passed: 12/1/1.
Registration and the OVR Website
- Nick Nystrom discusse the start of OVR registrations for the 2007-2008 season, which opened on September 1 and are proceeding smoothly.
- Nick met with Doug Beal, Margie Mara, Kerstin Fracassini-Rieff, and others at USA Volleyball on August 23 to discuss the national registration system. Although there is no technological barrier to efficient exchange of registration data between USA Volleyball and the Regions, implementation on USAV's side may incur expense. Significant social barriers may also impede having the OVR's 16,000+ members register themselves online.
- Push push to open registration on September 1 for boys' and adults' and boys' teams was not justified. The first adults' team did not register until October 2, and the first boys' team did not register until October 15.
- Several officers have requested an upgrade to the OVR server to relieve poor response during peak periods. Achieving this goal would require incur expense; Nick will continue to evaluate options.
- OVR sponsors (volleyball equipment and apparel, retailers, hotels) continue to realize strong return on their investment. Most sponsors from the 2006-2007 season are expected to renew their contracts for 2007-2008.
- The photography contract for the OVR Girls' Championships will be re-bid for 2008.
Organizational Review Committee
- The Organizational Review Committee consists of Adam Evans (chair), Gretchen Niebling, Fred Fischer, Ed Hine, and Paul Claridades
- First meeting: November 4, Columbus area. Goal: examine present structure.
Future board meetings
- January 21, 2008, 10am, at a Cleveland-area site TBD
- May 16, 2008, 7pm, at the downtown Columbus Hampton Inn
- August 8-10, 2008, 7pm, Columbus Marriott Airport