Of related interest
- Officiating Beach
OVR Beach Volleyball Officiating
Rules, Policies, and Guidelines
Obtaining your initial USAV Beach referee certification in the OVR is a two-step process: 1) studying online training materials, and 2) attending a certification tournament with one of our veteran Beach referees. Details of the certification process include, among other things:
1) Key information for Beach referees is found on the VolleyballRefTraining ("VRT") website: www.volleyballreftraining.com/training_materials_beach.php. You should review all Beach PowerPoint presentations and other documents (PDF files) on that page. You do NOT need to view the online modules "for credit."
2) In addition, in the blue menu bar at the top of the page, you'll see the Resources tab near the right side of the menu. Place your cursor over Resources, and in the drop-down menu that appears, select Beach Resources. You will find additional training material there, including scoring information.
3) After you have reviewed this material, you are required to attend a Beach Official's Clinic. You will then need to attend an OVR beach tournament with one of our veteran Beach referees to complete the certification process. Those events are held in May and June each season.
If you are interested in a Beach certification, please contact Brian Hemelgarn, OVR Referees' Chair, to arrange to attend a tournament for certification purposes. Keep in mind the OVR Beach program is expanding to other areas of the region, and although that offers more opportunities for Beach referees to work, there are substantially fewer Beach tournaments than indoor tournaments.
Also, only two referees per FOUR courts is hired for Beach tournaments. It's an entirely different style than indoor volleyball. Beach referees should generally be able to pick up a handful of assignments during the season. The pay rate is lower than indoor officiating, but your referee duties are different. You'll be a court monitor for most of the day, and then officiate 2-3 matches in the play-offs.
Consider checking out the Beach tournament schedule. If one of these tournaments is in your area, stop by to see what it's all about.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Brian Hemelgarn, OVR Referees Chair.Brian Hemelgarn, OVR Referees Chair.
Certified Beach Officals in the OVR
- Certified Beach Officials in the OVR
- Beach-certified officials: contact Brian Hemelgarn (email@example.com) to be added to the OVR database.
- OVR Beach Doubles Scoresheet for local tournaments
- USAV Beach Doubles Scoresheet
- Juniors' Beach Scoring Instructions